About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Thursday 18 October 2012

Braunston Coal Run. Day 5

Another early start, but in brighter weather for a change. We were hoping to make Banbury by the evening. Barry steered the motor for a time and said “It steers like a three humped camel,” so realised how hard it was for me. At Bridge 200, Barry spied a balustrade with metal rails, from which we could hang the Pull-Lift. There were several boats following, so we let them pass first, before beginning operations again. Whilst we were waiting I took time out to fix the horn button, which had not worked for a couple of days and I had installed it about a year ago, so knew what to look for. The rudder was reseated correctly at the third attempt and we made it to Banbury after 11 hours.

Try again at Bridge 200
Entering Somerton Deep Lock

Somerton lock cottage, bought for £350,000 (Photo by Maggie)


No comments: