About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Sunday 18 August 2013

Diesel Tank Purge

 For the last few years, I have been thinking about diesel polishing ever since reading about it in Waterways World, but at a cost of about £100, is it really that effective? For some time now a friend keeps asking if I have purged my diesel tank yet - to which the answer is no - that is, up till now.

Last week I decided to see what was at the bottom of the tank and what a surprise was in store!

This was the amount of sediment in a 2 litre container, which took a week to settle. When first pumped out, there was no sediment, the fluid just looked cloudy. Just think how much muck is there in a 200 litre tank after twelve years from new.

So far, I have pumped out 8 litres and the results are the same in all samples. The question is, do I continue to take out more, or just leave it and let the filters do their job? I could take out more if I got some more containers, but it's going to take an awful long time.

No comments: