About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Friday 11 July 2014

The Grand Canal Tour 2014. A Good Night Out.


It  was a wet start to the day, which was to continue in the same vein all day. I started with some shopping at Lidl and only realised when I had finished, that I could have moored right outside and saved a lot of carrying. I had to cruise in the rain today, because I knew that John and Jenny Jackson were going to be at Kinver that night and I wanted to meet up with them for a few beers. They were on a coal delivery on Roach, to Gloucester. I just missed a slot at the start, hoping to get away before a boat that was already in the lock, but a continuous cruiser wanted to chat about speeding boats, so I missed the slot and got behind a very slow boat. All went OK until the first lock, where a boat was wedged in the lock by an enormous waterlogged log that was just afloat. The Australian crew of the boat in front decided to try and haul it out of the water, so with some help from me and other passers-by and a gang plank, we achieved the almost impossible and rolled it well away on the bank.
 
More shopping in Kidderminster and on to Kinver, where I arrived about 6pm. We met up and went for a meal at The White Harte, but the only beer on hand pump was mild ale - appalling for such a large pub! John suggested that a short walk away was a pub known locally as The Steps aka The Plough and Harrow, which was a Batham's house - excellent choice John. After several pints of the good brew, we made our way back to our respective boats and I have to say, I spent a lovely night’s sleep after a very educational and enjoyable evening.

Roach passed by the following morning and John passed me The Para Handy Tales which he promised me was an interesting read. I was sorry to see them go, as they are such good company and impart such a wealth of knowledge about boats and the canal.

After a long morning, with a good internet connection, I was able to post two new additions to my blog and now that I can post smaller pics, it was all speeded up.

I stopped off at the water point and rinsed out my washing and filled up with water, before moving on to Greensforge, where I moored up and went for a pint at The Navigation, where I was spoilt for choice with three of my faves on tap - Holden's Golden Glow, Pardoes Bumblehole and Envilles bitter, the last being a local brew and strongly recommended by John and I have to say he was right. I have to admit that I sampled all three - wonderful stuff!

No comments: