About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Wednesday 16 July 2014

The Grand Canal Tour 2014. Towards Nantwich 1.


I stayed the following day, knowing that other Byfleet Boat Club members were heading in the same direction. I went to Wetherspoon’s that evening, using up my CAMRA beer tokens, which allow 50p off any pint of real ale. There is an ASDA about half a mile walk from the moorings, but it was very small and had limited stock. I found a Morrisson’s at the other end of the town, so did a fair bit of walking and carrying to be able to stock up my larder.

 

I heard from Mick and Suzanne Wilson on Cranley later in the day that they would be in Market Drayton that evening, along with Terry and Chris on Barleytwist, so I researched a decent pub where we could have a meal and catch up on all the news. For some unknown reason, I had missed out previously the best pub in town called The Red Lion  which was the brewery tap for Joules brewery, just at the back of the pub.
Joule's Brewery Tap. The red cross is their trade mark.
 
The modern brewery revived after 36 yrs of closure by Bass Charrington
 
 
 What an excellent hostelry it is too and well worth a visit, with a good menu, service and Joules beers, of course; Slumbering Monk, Blonde and Joules Pale Ale. The sparkling mineral water or liquor, as the brewer would call it, it drawn from a 90 metre well and the old well is visible inside the pub. They have an excellent web site - well worth a look for the history of Joules and the beer brewing process!
L to R Ray, Terry, Mick, Chris and Suzanne.
 

No comments: