About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Monday 16 May 2016

Stronghold on Tour 7.



Saturday 14th May

I spent the morning catching up with this blog and other domestic chores. Although I was moored a fair distance form Tesco, I found that I could log on to their wi-fi – very useful indeed. Pity I could not get a TV signal too.
Around midday, I was ready to move and caught up North Star just below the lock, we soon established a routine through the locks and made good progress as far as the Grove Bridge, where they stopped to moor. I continued on to Hunton Bridge so as to investigate The Kings Head pub, which had been closed on previous visits here. Nothing to rave about, although a good choice of beers and plenty of history in this 17th Century inn.

Sunday 15th May

Galley economy day, with a Spring clean all around the kitchen area and washing to cope with too. I was paid a visit by the Fire Brigade late morning. They had previously dropped a note on the boat requesting the testing of my fire and carbon dioxide alarms, so I was aware that they might pay me a visit. If I did not have either, then free ones were on offer. 
So many more wide beam boats around on this canal now. The continuous cruisers moored below me had two boats set adrift as wide beams went past. Of course they complained like mad, but they had no spring lines out as I did and my boat did not budge as they passed by.   John and Hazel on North Star passed by after a satisfying lunch with family, but did not go very far, so we hitched up late afternoon and got as far as Red Lion Lock on the outskirts of Hemel. The fuel boat Hyperion passed me earlier in the day and I asked the price of diesel and how I could pay. After mooring up, he came by again and I requested a fill up. When Phil (the steerer) saw that I was from Pelican Wharf, he remarked that it was at Addlestone and had lived in that area in his younger days. I asked about how he got into his present business and had the full story whilst he was fuelling up. He wanted to be paid by cash or bank transfer, which I had not come across before on a fuel boat. Most of them will take cash, cheque or card, but as he pointed out, bank transfer is the cheapest method for him. At 61p/litre and no declaration, this is almost as cheap as when I began boating when it was 50p.
How's this for a fender?

Another strange one.
p.

No comments: